Demyelinating diseases of the nervous system and brain
A huge number of diseases, the consequence of which is damage to the membranes of myelin fibers of the nerves, is commonly called a demyelinating brain disease.
This process is associated with many causes: it can be viruses, infections, as well as allergic reactions of the body.
Demyelinating process is typical for such diseases as multiple sclerosis, encephalitis, leukoencephalitis and many other diseases of the central nervous system and brain. Demyelination of nerve fibers almost always leads to disability.
Almost always demyelinating diseases of the nervous system are inherited.
- Provoking diseases and provocative factors
- How to identify the main symptoms of the disease
- How to diagnose
- A set of measures - to save mind and health!
- Complementary therapies
Aggravating diseases and provocative factors
There are three factors that really can push a healthy body to demyelinate the brain and the central nervous system as a whole:
- One of the most important factors that scientists and practitioners singled outneurologists, you can call the underlying heredity factor. If in the family, someone was sick with this disease, then the percentage of occurrence of the same violation in the relative significantly increases.
- The disease can also occur against the background of external factors .It can be an infection that has got into the body from the outside, it can also be an infection with an infection that got into the blood during vaccination.
- Shell destruction can occur against the background of other CNS diseases , for example, multiple sclerosis, meningitis, CNS infections.
The centers of demyelination can also appear in the case of:
- metabolic disorders , if a person does not eat properly, his metabolism is disturbed, and as a result, there will be a disruption in the brain and destruction of the nerve fiber membranes;
- poisoning with alcohol, drugs, psychotropic substances .
The environment in human life is not the last place. It should also be said that the human body itself can provoke the development of a violation, as a result of the negative impact of the environment on it.
What else can affect the development of the disease:
- diseases such as measles, rubella, and other infections can lead to the development of multiple sclerosis;
- long-term bacterial infections;
- intoxication and damage by salts and vapors of heavy metals;
- permanent and chronic stress.
How to identify the main symptoms of the disease
If the patient has even the first signs of a demyelinating process, then an experienced doctor will not miss them, they are determined immediately by external signs.
If a person spent the whole day at home lying down, if he did nothing, but just tried to rest, and he has fatigue and fatigue, this is one of the main signs that indicate degenerative diseases of the nervous system.
Demyelinating disease is manifested by neurologic, general somatic and psychoemotional symptoms:
- With extended arms, noticeably a slight tremor - tremor .This may indicate that foci of demyelination of the nervous tissue develop.
- appears with digestive system , fecal incontinence, urination.
- Observed psycho-emotional deviations , which manifest themselves in forgetfulness, memory disorders, characterized by the appearance of various kinds of hallucinations, and intellectual abilities are also beginning to decline. Previously, when diagnosing such symptoms, a person was diagnosed with dementia and treated for it.
- Other neurological syndromes are fixed - in this case, motor skills begin to change, convulsive syndrome, hyperkinesis and so on can manifest.
How to diagnose
First, on the basis of what a doctor can suspect a demyelinating disease of the CNS in his patient, it is impaired coordination of movement and speech malfunction.
Magnetic resonance imaging is widely used for accurate diagnosis. Only after carrying out of the given inspection, the doctor can precisely diagnose. The results that this method of research provides are accurate, which allows us to draw certain conclusions.
The patient is also required to receive a blood test. If at the time of taking the analysis of the patient exacerbation, then this may indicate the presence of lymphocytosis. The number of platelets increases, and fibrinolysis increases.
If we talk about a more accurate method of diagnosis, this is an MRI with contrast agents. It is thanks to him that it is possible to identify new foci of demyelination, which affect the brain and nervous tissue.
A set of measures - to save the mind and health!
Since it is not possible to identify the exact causes of demyelination, as well as the development of the process in each person passes in different ways, with different symptoms, there is no clear mechanism for treating the disease.
The main goal of therapy for demyelination is the need to improve the impaired brain function. If the disease is already started, then the treatment gives in very badly.
When appointing a doctor, the doctor sets himself the task of preventing the disease from developing further. If treatment is prescribed correctly, then at least 30% of the risk of complications will be reduced.
Treatment is most often purely medicamentous. Basically, the following medicines are prescribed:
- Since demyelination of nerve fibers provokes reflex changes and muscle contractions, muscle relaxants are prescribed, which can relieve tension. When taking this group of drugs, the motor functions of the body are restored.
- To prevent nerve fibers from deteriorating, anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed, as well as antibiotics.
- In addition, nootropic preparations of are needed, which help restore brain activity.
Recently, patients who have found foci of demyelination of the brain, prescribe a course of corticosteroids, which are dissolved and injected intravenously in large doses into the body.
Complementary therapies for
In addition to medical treatment, a reflexotherapy course is mandatory. This is necessary in order to restore the sensitivity of the limbs, their performance.
With acupuncture, silver needles are used, with the help of which the doctor can act on the necessary points of the body. Thanks to this procedure, the patient receives a fortifying effect.
Given that medicine does not stand still, neurologists have been able to control the development and treatment of the disease. And if earlier it was not possible to fight with multiple sclerosis and similar demyelinating diseases, then now using immunomodulators for a long time, one can achieve a long-term remission in the development of the disease.
First of all, if a person is diagnosed with this disease, he must avoid exposure to various infections, he should not overdo it, avoid intoxication.
If, however, a person has taken up an infection, then he should always be in bed, take medications that will help him to get to his feet. It is also very important to use thermal procedures.
The patient should move as much as possible, work as much as possible, but one should not allow fatigue of the body, since it can give impetus to the progress of the disease.
You can not isolate a sick person from society, as this will lead to even greater complications.
It is strictly forbidden to drink, smoke, without fail it must have a full sleep.
In case life is built on constant stresses, frustration and anxiety, it is necessary to not react at the maximum to all the problems that can completely kill a healthy person.
The sad fate of
The prognosis for demyelination is quite negative. If the disease is not treated, it can develop into a chronic form, paralysis of the limbs may develop, muscle tissue atrophy, and dementia develop.
In the end result, demyelination of the brain can lead to death.
It is also necessary to know that the foci that arise in the brain will grow and, as a consequence, lead to new disturbances in the work of the organism, it becomes difficult for a person to breathe, swallow, or even speak.
A person who suffers from multiple sclerosis - the most frequently diagnosed demyelinating disease of the central nervous system, is a really terrible sight. Even yesterday, he's absolutely healthy, he's turned into a disabled person. He has slow movements, speech changes, it becomes more extended and incomprehensible.
It should be remembered that this disease is not treated, the main task is to prevent its occurrence.