A complex symptom complex that extends to different systems and organs, and can have different clinical manifestations is defined as vegetative-va...
Tryptans from migraine: drugs - a complete review!
Migraine is quite common in modern society, from which approximately 6% of men and 18% of women suffer.
Very often, those who are familiar with this unpleasant phenomenon do not pay proper attention to it, and conventional painkillers are taken to combat the painful manifestations, which are not only unable to stop the pain syndrome, but also cause serious harm to the body. Therefore, to eliminate the painful manifestations of migraine, special preparations called triptans were created. How do these funds work, and which of them are best for fighting the disease best?
Content of the material
- 1 Why not treat migraines with antispasmodi
- 2 What are triptans, and how do they work?
- 3 How to use
- 4 Side effects of
- 5 How to quickly and effectively stop a migraine attack?
- 5.1 Video - Tryptans from migraine
Why not treat migraines with antispasmodics and painkillers?
Migraine differs from usual headache with increased intensity and localization in a certain part of the head( temples, nape, frontal lobe, etc.).It is associated with the expansion of the cerebral vessels, and the duration of the attack can vary from a few hours to three days, so patients try to eliminate pain pain as soon as possible.
What medications for are not recommended for in this case? First and foremost, these are all products containing sodium metamizole( Analgin, Pentalgin, Spazgan), since it is capable of causing serious harm to the health - that's why the substance is banned in many developed countries.
In addition, some preparations include phenobarbital, which is addictive, and codeine, which slows the assimilation of painkillers. As for other drugs, barbiturates and opiates increase the risk of the transition of the disease to chronic, and conventional analgesics, as a rule, do not bring the desired effect. Therefore, the best option for all who suffer from migraines is to turn to a new generation of drugs that can effectively and quickly stop the attack of the disease.
What are triptans, and how do they work?
Triptans are a group of drugs, the main active ingredients of which are derivatives of serotonin. They are able to effectively and quickly fight off attacks of the disease, especially in cases of so-called migraine with aura( when the symptoms of the disease manifest themselves in advance). The mechanism of their action is as follows:
- active substances narrow the dilated vessels, thus reducing pain and other unpleasant sensations;
- due to high selectivity practically does not affect the central nervous system, affecting the vessels of the hard shell of the brain;
- relieves pain at the level of the spinal cord, reducing sensitivity to pain;
- reduce the possibility of recurrence of the disease and eliminate symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, photophobia, etc.
Clinical studies have confirmed that the use of such drugs in about 60% of cases is much more effective than other painkillers and analgesics.
It should be noted that the choice of triptans is completely dependent on the characteristics of the patient, therefore, the preparation should be selected individually. There are a number of means from this group( first and second generation), which are very effective in fighting migraine. They are available in the form of tablets, sprays or suppositories, so that finding the best medicine for yourself is simple enough.
|2.5 mg( not more than 15 mg per day)||The drug begins to act as early as 20 minutes after admission and is effective in all types of migraine, includingmenstrual. It is harmless for pregnant and lactating women, it can be combined with analgesics|
|50 mg( not more than 300 mg per day)||The most studied category of medicines that is produced invarious forms( tablets, spray, rectal suppositories).The effect manifests itself after 15-30 minutes, and the most effective is the spray. When taking the remedy, it is necessary to exclude all the agents that contain ergotamine|
|40 mg( not more than 160 mg per day)||Has the minimal amount of side effects, and the result is manifested approximately half an hour after administration. Do not use during pregnancy, and combine with antifungal agents and antibiotics|
|2.5 mg( not more than 5 mg per day)||It is strong enough that it is recommended to take it only in cases whenthe diagnosis of "migraine" is beyond doubt. Strengthens the effect of sedatives.|
|2.5 mg||The effect of the drug is significantly weaker than that of Sumatriptan, but it has significantly fewer side effects|
Method of application
Tryptans are recommended immediately( within the first 15 minutes) after the onset of headache,or at least within the first two hours and after the passage of visual, auditory and olfactory dysfunctions, which usually precede migraines. In cases of gradually increasing unpleasant sensations, drugs should be replaced by others. For better absorption, tryptanes are best used after eating, squeezed with plenty of water.
The effect lasts for several hours, but sometimes the pain can return again - in such situations it is recommended to take another pill, but not earlier than two hours after the first and at a dose that does not exceed the allowable value.
. In case of severe migraine attacks, which are difficult to stop with medicines, the patient is selected an individual therapeutic regimen that, in addition to the triptans, includes B-blockers and anticonvulsants. Regular intake of drugs can be no more than four times a week and not more than ten days a month in a row;In addition, do not use drugs as a prophylaxis of attacks.
Preparations in the form of nasal sprays are most effective when migraine is accompanied by nausea and vomiting - they are sprayed into one nostril in an amount of about 20 mg. Among the contraindications for for triptane administration are:
- ischemic heart disease;
- disorders associated with cerebral circulation;
- severe arterial hypertension;
- individual hypersensitivity;
- age to 12 years;
- , most drugs can not be taken simultaneously with antiviral, psychotropic and antifungal agents, antibiotics;
- should be used with caution in renal and hepatic insufficiency, in case of liver abnormalities, during pregnancy and breastfeeding, take only as directed by the doctor.
Side Effects of
Generally, preparations from the group of triptans are well tolerated by the body, but in some cases the following side effects are possible:
- enhanced heart rate, tachycardia, in the most difficult cases - myocardial infarction;
- muscle spasms and pain;
- sensation of heat or cold;
- change in taste;
- increased urination;
- dizziness, decreased sensitivity, drowsiness, dizziness, asthenia;
- dry mouth, dyspeptic disorders;
- allergic manifestations.
How to quickly and effectively stop a migraine attack?
In order to get rid of a migraine attack, there is an effective and proven scheme:
- , first take 1000 mg of aspirin, 10 mg of motilium and drink a cup of drink with caffeine and sugar;
- if after 45 minutes of visible relief is not noticeable, you must take any of the triptans;
- if the use of analgesics does not bring the desired result for three consecutive strokes, you should immediately take triptans;
- in cases where migraine is accompanied by aura, acetylsalicylic acid should be taken immediately after the onset of unpleasant symptoms, and after the onset of headaches, immediately take tryptane.
In addition, to ease the condition with migraines, you can, if you lie in a dark room, periodically take a cool shower, drink soothing decoctions of medicinal herbs.
In whiskey, you can rub ointments containing menthol or the usual "Asterisk", as well as massage the points that are responsible for the brain activity.
Finally, it should be noted that migraine is a rather dangerous disease, and self-medication in this case can lead to quite serious consequences. Therefore, with frequent, recurring attacks of headache, you should always consult a doctor.