Many people at some point in their lives face a sleep disturbance. Rarely, who in such a situation appeals to doctors, but if such a problem gro...
Klein-Levin syndrome: an incurable neurological pathology
Klein-Levin syndrome was derived as a term by an American scientist, and at the moment it is an independent, full-fledged diagnosis.
Syndrome implies a pathology, accompanied by constant drowsiness, which is combined with a strong sense of hunger and nervous system disorders.
The disease in medical practice is quite rare, even to say in the most extreme, clinical cases. Presented syndrome is more diagnosed in boys in adolescence, but by 18-20 years of remission are stabilizing.
When exacerbated, the patient can sleep about 18-20 hours a day, and after awakening there are unlimited amounts, while due to the fact that a person does not understand what is happening to him, he becomes nervous.
The root causes of the syndrome
To date, doctors have noted that
Many experts believe that the main reason for the development of this syndrome is dysfunction in the work and reticular formation of the brain, as well as the hypothalamus and limbic system.
Along with this basic premise, the activator of the development of the syndrome is the hormonal changes that occur in the body in adolescence - that is why it is diagnosed in the majority in patients 12-16 years old.
In addition, doctors also note that viruses, head injuries, and an increase in the body temperature caused by unclear nature can also trigger the development of pathology.
As a provocateur of the Klein-Levin syndrome, many specialists also refer to the hereditary predisposition of the patient, when so many men suffered from such a rare pathology.
Many scientists today unanimously assert that the basis of the pathology is a certain defect in the genes - it is the primary reason for the failure of the hypothalamus and the limbic system of the brain. It is this type and nature of the breakdown and starts with hormonal restructuring in the body in adolescence.
Clinical picture and patient profile
The main symptoms that can indicate Klein-Levine syndrome:
- Sleep duration is long enough - sleep varies within 18-29 hours of .The rest of the time the patient spends on meeting their own needs, such as food, and its consumption goes in huge quantities and a visit to the toilet.
- Such long-lasting sleep attacks can last for 3-4 days , sometimes stretching to several weeks - in practice, physicians describe cases when the patient slept for 6 weeks.
- Prolonged sleep does not give the patient a full rest - after awakening a person does not feel cheerful, rest. After awakening the patient after a couple of hours again wants to sleep - if he gets enough sleep, then after awakening he is worried by a great feeling of hunger.
- It is that a great feeling of hunger, combined with a long sleep of , is the main symptom of the Sleeping Beauty syndrome. In this case, the patient eats everything, indiscriminately, without preference for one or another product, dishes, combining in one plate smoked meat and sweets - by satisfying his own hunger, the person again pulls to sleep.
- When a person suffers from a syndrome and is awake for a long time, will be characterized by attacks of nervousness and aggression , the patient becomes irritable and agitated, while the excitement can be both positive color of uplifted euphoria and a sense of happiness, and be negative in colorthe patient may resemble a schizophrenic.
- And such a sign as hallucinations and excessive hypersexuality manifests itself a few hours before the first pathological falling asleep, as well as in the process of exacerbation of pathology.
- The patient is also characterized by such vegetative symptoms as excessive sweating and blueing of the lower and upper extremities, lips and nasolabial triangle .
- With , the blood sugar level of drops, and after the seizures pass, the patient simply does not remember what happened to him at that time.
During interruptions between patients, the patient is not diagnosed with any abnormalities - at this time he is absolutely healthy, and the only negative during breaks is a large and uncontrolled feeling of hunger, compensating for the time of sleep.
It just remains to wait. ..
Because doctors have not yet established the reasons provoking the disease, it is not necessary to talk about an adequate and effective treatment regimen regarding treatment.
The whole point is that the Klein-Levin syndrome itself and its symptomatology passes after some time, after the patient crosses the 20-year boundary, then it is a question of not a medicamental method of biological self-healing.
As physicians themselves note, this syndrome should develop, and during periods of awakening, with severe bouts of anxiety and mental discomfort, the patient is shown to take sedative, sedatives. In general, the prognosis is favorable, people affected by this syndrome are completely cured by the age of 30.