Cavity of the brain( most often diagnosed with cavernous angioma and hemangioma) - cavernous malformations, consisting of a vascular tissue with...
Arachnoid cyst of the brain - a difficult treatment and severe consequences
The cyst of the brain is the spherical benign formation of , which is filled with liquid inside.
Cysts can be of various sizes, it is from this depends the severity of the symptoms.
They are detected mostly randomly, when diagnosing another disease or medical examination, as these tumors can remain in the brain for a long time without showing signs of existence.
- main types of brain
- cysts Types arachnoid cyst
- Features of this type of cyst
- Symptoms Pathology
- Diagnostic techniques
- arachnoid cyst Treatment
- Consequences and complications
prevention Main types
brain cyst Celebrating two main types of cystsof the brain - is:
- Arachnoid cyst .A feature of this type is the location of the neoplasm between the membranes of the brain. Most often occurs in men, rather than in women. In the absence of growth in education, it is enough to simply observe the doctor if the cyst begins to increase mark
- Retrocerebellar cyst .Characterized by the presence of education in the far portion of the brain. The causes of this disease can be strokes, encephalitis, poor blood supply to the brain and much more. The danger is that the cyst can destroy the brain tissue, and this leads to the death of the cells.
Read more about retrocerebellar cyst in our article.
The cyst of the brain is a kind of formation that is filled with fluid. They can be of different sizes, while increasing in size, that. ..
Species of the arachnoid cyst
There are several species of arachnoid cysts:
- Primary or congenital cyst .Appears due to a violation of fetal development of the fetus or is a consequence of death of brain tissue with intrapartum strangulation.
- Secondary cyst .The causes of the emergence of this education may be the transferred diseases or the effect of external factors on the human body.
You can refer to them :
- transferred operations on the brain;
- injury or head injuries;
- Marfan syndrome.
Other types of arachnoid cyst can be cited.
Depending on the structure of the formation, is isolated:
- a simple cyst that is formed only from cerebrospinal fluid;
- complex cyst, consisting of different types of tissues.
Depending on the location of the , there are:
- cyst in the lumbar region;
- formation of the spinal canal;
- cyst in the parietal part of the head;
- cyst in the temporal region.
Features of this type of cyst
The arachnoid cyst of the brain is an accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid( CSF), which contributes to the destruction of the brain.
This type of disease is formed by splitting the shell into several layers, between which a "pocket" appears, filled with liquid, that is, cerebrospinal fluid. If the pressure inside this formation is higher than the intracranial pressure, it will squeeze the cerebral cortex.
Like the retrocerebellar, the arachnoid cyst of the brain belongs to benign formations, and both diseases can be asymptomatic. But there are some kind of differences between them, and exactly:
- The arachnoid cyst is located on the surface of the brain, and the retrocerebellar cyst is in its thickness.
- The first appears between the shells of the brain, and the second - in the place of death of gray matter.
- The arachnoid cyst does not always require surgical intervention, and with retrocerebellar it is possible to completely destroy the brain in the absence of surgery.
In the primary arachnoid cyst, the main causes of the disease can be :
- taking medications by a pregnant woman;
- radiation radiation;
- poisoning with toxic substances;
- smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages by a future mother.
Regarding the secondary form, the main factors that can cause this disease, are:
- head injury;
- inflammatory processes of the brain;
- hemorrhage in the brain;
Symptoms of pathology
Congenital arachnoid cyst of the brain shows its symptoms in the child's period, and in the secondary can occur at any age and, as a rule, depend on the location and size.
Primary cyst may provoke a delay in the development of the child, mental abnormalities or visual impairment.
Complexity is manifested in the fact that the symptomatology of an arachnoid cyst may be characteristic of other brain diseases.
So, the most common symptoms of include:
- severe headaches;
- increased drowsiness;
If the cyst is in the frontal part of the head, then it is characterized by the following signs:
- decreased intelligence;
- gait violation;
- slurred speech;
- lip extension in the form of a tube.
In the presence of a cyst in the cerebellum, such symptoms are possible:
- muscle hypotension;
- gait disorder;
- disturbances in the work of the vestibular apparatus;
- involuntary eye movement to the side.
If the formation is localized at the base of the brain, then it manifests itself in such form:
- disruption of the visual organs;
- inability to turn the eyes in a certain direction.
If the area of the brain responsible for the movement is affected, paralysis may occur.
Because the symptoms of the arachnoid cyst are similar in many respects to other diseases, the diagnosis includes the laboratory and instrumental methods.
The main way to detect a cyst is an MRI.This technique is quite common, as even small formations are clearly visible on the photographs, which enables the doctor to make the correct diagnosis.
But most the main task is to find the cause of the disease, because it will depend on it for further treatment.
Initially, dopplerography of the vessels is performed to determine if the blood supply is broken. Then it is necessary to pass a blood test to the level of cholesterol in the blood and its coagulability.
Also, if necessary, analyzes for the presence of infectious diseases are carried out.
Since one of the main causes of the disease are jumps in blood pressure, it is necessary to constantly measure it throughout the day in order to assess how dangerous it is.
After all the results obtained, the doctor evaluates the situation and prescribes treatment.
If treatment of second-degree dyscirculatory encephalopathy does not start on time, it will develop into a heavier third form of the disease. How can this be avoided?
When there is and what is hyperventilation syndrome - the symptoms and causes of the hyperventilation syndrome. You can give first aid in this situation to yourself. How to do it?
Treatment of arachnoid cyst
The choice of method of treatment of arachnoid cyst of the brain depends primarily on the cause and results of the study.
If the cyst is of small size and does not increase, then surgery will not be required. It will be enough to simply check and follow the doctor's recommendations.
With regard to drug treatment, it is prescribed in the absence of symptoms of the disease and to such preparations include:
- antiviral drugs;
- drugs that improve blood supply;
- taking medications that can dissolve adhesions.
If the formation begins to increase in size and the symptoms acquire a pronounced character, then surgical intervention is necessary. So the basic prerequisites for this are:
- increased intracranial pressure;
- hemorrhage in the brain;
- mental abnormalities;
- seizures, epileptic seizures;
- when there is a high risk of rupturing the cyst.
There are three types of operations:
- Endoscopic method. It is the most modern and safe method of cyst treatment. This is because the risk of complications decreases and the level of injuries is much less than in other operations.
- Shunting .This type of operation is that the shunt is injected into the cyst, and the fluid is discharged through a special channel. But the disadvantage of this method is that the channel can become clogged, and this will lead to a worsening of the patient's condition.
- Neurosurgical operation refers to the most traumatic method of cyst treatment, therefore it is the least popular. This is due to the fact that not only education is removed, but also all nearby tissues, which leads to a long rehabilitation process.
Regarding the recovery period, it consists in stabilizing the work of the brain and complete recovery of the patient.
Consequences and complications of
If you consulted your doctor for the first symptoms, started treatment and follow all the advice, then the forecast will be very optimistic, otherwise, regardless of your desire, sooner or later the negative consequences will make themselves felt.
For arachnoid cyst, such complications can be characterized:
- Neurological disorders. They are manifested in the malfunctioning of the organs of the motor system, accompanied by a loss of sensitivity.
- Seizures, epileptic seizures, which are accompanied by involuntary limb movement and loss of consciousness.
It should be remembered that with the early detection of a cyst or its small size, the chances of a full recovery are much higher, while ignoring the disease only leads to complications.
Is there a prophylaxis for
? As for the primary arachnoid cyst, then, as such, prevention does not exist, since it is extremely difficult to prevent the development of this disease.
You can only improve the situation a little by stabilizing the maternity to prevent oxygen starvation of the fetus.
For this, a pregnant woman should adhere to such rules:
- to abandon bad habits;
- is strictly prohibited from taking toxic or narcotic substances;
- exclude the taking of certain drugs;
- adhere to a healthy diet.
In the secondary cyst, a large number of preventive measures exist, and precisely:
- regularly undergo a medical examination;
- try to stick to a healthy lifestyle;
- to control blood pressure;
- after head injuries or concussions to exclude large loads on the body;
- should monitor the level of cholesterol in the blood and adhere to its permissible norm.